Sunday, October 22, 2006

NaNoWriMo

Yikes.
I've been needing a kickstart to get back into writing. The slow & easy re-entry wasn't cutting it. So I started toying with the idea of signing up for
NaNoWriMo. If you don't know, that stands for National Novel Writing Month. The idea is you try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, Nov 1-30th.
Orginally, I was thinking I'd just try to log 50,ooo words of anything, articles, blogs, journaling (hey- I get article ideas from journaling). Then
Cris went & told me she signed up for it again this year. So, due to the wonders of peer pressure, I've gone & officially signed up for NaNoWriMo.
Here's the thing, I don't even write fiction! Help!! I have nine days to come up with a fiction, or mostly fiction idea significant enough to allow me to write 50,000 words.
Maybe this will be good. Maybe since I don't write fiction, I won't have the pressure to make it a marketable piece. Maybe that's what I need.
Maybe.

1 comment:

Crystal Laine said...

I think you should write a memoir-type fiction book--about growing up. Focus on the character.

Man! I am so proud of myself for exerting influence. (Grinning very big here.) I didn't know I had that kind of power.

Write your story--just fictionalize it. I think you'll have a great story, even in first draft form. And when you are done, that's when you step back and see what you did. Do a journey.