Thursday, April 24, 2008

Perspective

When I was in grad school I was busy all the time. I had 18 hour days every single day. I felt guilty for sleeping at all.
When I graduated, the opposite thing happened. I needed so much R&R that I could barely do anything. I didn't have a lot of motivation and I mostly spent some time just doing a lot of nothing.
Now that I've recovered, I'm finding it hard to restore balance to my schedule. I have no desire to go back to the overwhelmed feeling of excessive deadlines and commitments. But now that my energy is coming back, I also struggle with wanting to accomplish more than I can comfortably get done in a day. My body has yet to realize that it's normal to be busy, and not get everything done in a day.
I need to work on some strategies for being satisfied with being comfortably busy and leaving some things undone.

No comments: