Monday, January 21, 2008

You Might Be a Grown-Up

I recently heard a radio talk show host ask what makes a grown-up. The question came about because many people are waiting until they are older to get married and have children. Many of these same people are apparently defining adulthood as when you settle down, get married, and have children.
As a perpetually single, and therefore childless person, I take exception to this. While many people may want to put off growing up until they have a family, I would like to offer some alternative indicators of impending adulthood.
  • If you have gray hair, dry skin, AND zits, you might be a grown-up.
  • If you have a mortgage, you might be a grown-up.
  • If it's always your turn to do the dishes, pay the bills, and take out the garbage, you might be a grown-up.
  • If things you recall from a decade ago happened after you passed your teenage years, you might be a grown-up.
  • If snow days, hot summer days, and birthdays are worth acknowledging, but no longer quite worth celebrating, you might be a grown-up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cuz! I'm glad youre back and sharing your great writing with us. I truly enjoy reading the thoughts you have and am envious of your skill and the way you put those thoughts together. I have been waiting and checking back daily since Nov 30th...I'm glad to see youre back!
Just Cuz : )