Thursday, February 22, 2007

I Need

I’ve been known to have some trouble asking for help. I’ve got this stubborn, independent, “me do it” thing going on. I’m working on it though. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned that it’s OK to sometimes ask for help. In the first place, people often don’t mind helping. In the second place, just because you can do something doesn’t always mean you should. Sometimes it’s a better idea to save your energy for something more important. So, I started learning to ask for what I need.
Asking for what you need can be a risk. People might say no, or think there’s something wrong with you for having those needs. But it also opens up the possibility of experiencing grace when someone reaches out to meet that need. I’ve mentioned before that people who are there when you need to ask for help are fantastic.
Do you know what’s even better? People who know that sometimes what you need is to not to have to ask.

2 comments:

Karen Wingate said...

Amen to your last sentence!! It takes such a burden off my shoulders when someone anticipates my needs and quietly, sweetly steps in and helps. That's what Jesus does. He knows our need even before we ask. What a comfort that is.

Meju said...

I have trouble asking for help too, with many health issues this is just silly. I am glad you are overcoming your problem with it!