Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Story

In The House at Pooh Corner, there is a chapter “In which Eeyore finds the Wolery.” Which is to say that he finds a home for Owl because Owl’s previous home has been destroyed. The trouble is, what Eeyore found was actually Piglet’s home, though he did not realize this at the time. Piglet feels bad for Owl and doesn’t quite know how to tell him it is his house.
I think I can relate to that. Piglet feels a pang of loss at the possibility of not having his home. But he knows this is the very hurt that Owl is suffering at the moment, so he does not wish to cause him further pain. Have you ever felt like your sanctuary was crumbling before you, or being pulled right out from under you? That’s what I’m talking about. It’s hard, but it gives you empathy for others experiencing the same thing.
The story continues. Being the only one of the bunch who didn’t have fuzz for brains, Christopher Robin was smart enough to know Piglet was really in danger of losing his home, his sanctuary. Christopher Robin asks Piglet, what he would do if, in theory, his own house was blown down.
Before Piglet can speak, Winnie the Pooh answers for him. “He’d come and live with me.”
I’m happy to say I’m ridiculously blessed with people like Winnie the Pooh in my life. (Yes, people, that’s a compliment).

No comments: