Tuesday, May 13, 2008

And a Partridge in a...

A couple of quotes to start off today:
  • Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it. Helen Keller
  • No two persons ever read the same book. Edmund Wilson

Some random comments:

  • Based on the aforementioned quotes & a few others I've discovered, I'm tempted to start a second list of 100 quotes. While I know some of you might like that, it might not be a good idea seeing as how I'm stalled on the list of 100 goals I've been working on for some time now.
  • It's 62 degrees in my apartment. It's colder in my home than it is outside. How does this happen?
  • Once again, the lilacs blow my mind this year. A flower made up of many, many other flowers, which lives on a bush with many, many other flowers like it. Delightfully excessive in its design, don't you think?

And a couple ideas for book art:

  • While innocently perusing Tim Holtz's blog, I came across a technique for creating text using a Dynmo label maker. This is precisely the solution I needed to the problem of how to effectively and efficiently create text for the title pages of my books. A quick trip to Staples and I'm now the owner of a wonderful label maker just waiting for me to finish my current book. It wasn't that expensive either.
  • I've also been experimenting with techniques for collage. I must confess one of my problems with collage is that I'm a poor planner. I get hung up on playing with the bottom layers and don't want to cover them up, or I want to rush ahead to the top layer, which means it's harder to go back and add details in the background. Over at Quietfire, one of the projects featured collage done on a scanner bed. Not glued, just arranged and then scanned. I can't wait to try this out because it means working in reverse. You put the top layer down first, and the supporting images follow. I hope my brain likes it better that way.

No comments: