Monday, March 05, 2007

Career Day

I participated in my high school’s career day today. This is the 2nd year I’ve come back to speak there. I was shocked to hear from an old classmate that this is the year of our 15th reunion. I’m the kind of person who, until recently, hasn’t really been back to high school since I graduated. I think that’s because I focused a lot of energy on moving forward and I needed the distance from that time in my life to keep that forward motion.
I’m glad it wasn’t a case of never being able to “go home” again though. I think I was able to put some things in perspective in a way I would not have been able to do if I’d remained more connected with the people, places, and things from high school. It was neat to revisit that time in my life. The timing of how these things works out is interesting to me.
Who I was isn’t who I am now. But who I was is a piece of who I am. When we wonder where we belong in life, we can look back on the places we have belonged in the past and be reassured that God has a plan for where we belong.

No comments: