Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tacking

If my computer cooperates, there should be some new links on my blog tonight. I'm in a "getting organized" phase. If you're anything like me, you've already fallen down on your New Year's Resolutions at least once this year. I'm in the process of trying to get back into the healthier, more productive routines I'd planned for this year. It seems like I'm in this space a lot. I identify with Paul, doing what I don't want to do, and not doing what I really do want to do.
A friend of mine used a sailing analogy to describe this phenomenon. He said sailboats can't stay in the middle of the river as they travel. The currents are constantly driving them towards shore. The best you can do is weave to the right a bit, and then even it out by going back to the left a bit. It's a little less discouraging to know that the repetitive motion of getting organized is fairly normal. It's nice to know that if you went a little to the left today, you can get back on course by going to the right tomorrow.
Ummm, what I just said was not intended as a political commentary in any way. But it was pretty punny, wasn't it?

No comments: