Tuesday, June 03, 2008

What's Your Instrument?

A while ago, I posted a blog on What's Your Art? I'm too lazy to link it, but you can search it from my sidebar if you like.
Anyway, I'm currently reading this book on creativity and spirituality. At one point the book talks about being an instrument for your art. Singers consider their voices an instrument, and sculptors treat their hands like instruments. Carrying the metaphor further, the author of the book asks us to consider what kind of instruments we would be in a musical performance. If your art had a musical sound to it, what would it be?
Now, you are just going to have to take my word for this, but in the last couple of years, I've wanted to learn to play the harp. Yes, that obscure, expensive, not-very-portable instrument that few people play and even fewer teach. What would I do with a harp? Where would I put it? I don't know. I just want to learn to play the harp. So when the book asked these questions, I started thinking about what playing the harp says about my other creative endeavors. I don't have many answers yet, but inspired by Wendy's research on periwinkle, I did some searching of my own and came up with this. Honest and for real.



You Should Play the Harp




You are a sensitive soul, with a great admiration for beauty.

You definitely have what it takes to make beautiful music, but most instruments are too harsh for you.



You are subtle, shy, and even a bit spoiled. You're very picky about most aspects of your life.

It's just your style to play an eccentric, hard to transport instrument like the harp that few people consider.



Overall, you have the relaxed demeanor of a leisurely upper class person, and your music would reflect that.

Your calm yet soulful harp playing would be sure to help people forget their troubles for a while.



Your dominant personality characteristic: your zen-ness



Your secondary personality characteristic: your quiet independence

1 comment:

Crystal Laine said...

I love this post. I did it, too. Wow. Anyway, I was thinking about this--my grandfather played the autoharp. Much smaller and you could do it in your own place. Not exactly a large harp, but doable! There are some beautiful instruments like the dulcimer that would be portable. I saw handmade ones in Branson that made me want to play them! (Gorgeous.)

Anyway, this post is deeper than just talking about what instrument you should play--so telling about you. I just love it. And you should learn sign language with your beautiful hands.