Sometimes it’s all we can do to get through a bad day. Don’t try to think about it, change it, or accomplish something in spite of it. Just survive. On some days that’s the best defense we have, but maybe there’s a way we can use those bad days to redeem some of the other bad days we all encounter from time to time. Remember that series of bad days you went through a few months ago? What couldn't you process at the time? Is there anything you’re perhaps more prepared to acknowledge now, some insight that might be useful as you face another patch of bad days?
Here are thirteen things I’ve learned or found useful in bad days. I hope they will get me through some more.
- Music is healing. Listen to music.
- Psalm 121
- Art being what it is, it is beautiful and valuable. Treat people like art.
- This is important.
- Sometimes you just need a Kleenex.
- Chocolate given by others in times of stress tastes better.
- Books are healing. Read books.
- Helping someone else with a bad day helps you with your own.
- There’s no such thing as “at least” when it comes to loss.
- There’s stuff inside you that you don’t know is there. When you need it, you’ll find it.
- If you can’t find it, go watch Rocky Balboa.
- This is also important.
- Creativity counters the destructive things in our lives. Go be creative.