Sunday, January 21, 2007

Irony, Pt. 2

The other day I was out with a friend who isn’t a Christian. As we walked across a parking lot, I noticed a bumper sticker that said “Believe in God, or go to hell.”
At first glance, if you’re “on the inside”, and you have a warped sense of humor, maybe this is worth a little chuckle. But it made me cringe and shake my head in sadness.

What if, like several of my friends, you are on the outside looking in? This is not the impression I want my friends to have about what it means to be a Christian. This is not the impression I want them to have of me as a person. I’d be embarrassed to be labeled as a member of a group of people who treat their faith like an elitist club with initiation rights, dues, and secret handshakes.
Last week one of my clients told me she stopped going to church because she doesn’t have nice enough clothes to belong there. That, as they say, is just wrong.
I’m going to spend some time this week thinking about what I can do to make these things right.

No comments: