Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Well, Bless My Heart

Lately, I’ve been going around telling people just how darned fortunate I am. I mean, just bless the socks right off me why don’t you kind of fortunate. I’ll give you one example, about my favorite Christmas gift this year, and one of my favorites ever. You’re just going to have to trust me that my life is full of countless examples of this kind of thing.
A few weeks ago, I was coping with some sad realizations, and I shared this with my “sisters.” Despite all living several states apart, our group of fellow writers has become quite close over the years. So I knew they’d be there to back me up when I told them about the early morning crying jag I’d indulged myself in. What I didn’t expect was the Christmas care package one of them sent in the mail. Among other things, she sent me Kleenex. I was sad. I cried. And from halfway across the country, I got Kleenex. I don’t think empathy gets any more empathic than that. I am so blessed it is absurd.
Now comes the scary part. I tend to believe that when you hear a reference to something 3 times in a relatively short period of time, you ought to pay attention. When a fairly obscure book title comes up in conversation several times in a week, as a general rule, I check out that book at the library. So last night I read a reference to a Bible verse in a business related email. Not five minutes later, Oprah was quoting the same verse on the news.
"For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be demanded; and to whom much has been entrusted, of him they will ask much more. " (Luke 12:48)
So that’s twice in I row I heard that verse.
Yeah.
If you don’t hear from me in a few days, I’ll be hiding under my bed.

No comments: